Friday, July 2, 2010

Said on the Farm: I must not look like a farmer

If you ever want to experience southern hospitality to the billionth degree, you should just sit out on our front porch for about 30 minutes.  As people drive, run, walk, bike, scoot, or stroll by, they almost always wave or actually say hello.  If you doubt this, just ask my dad.  Or, you could just come work in the garden with me one day.  On top of the fact that people 'round here are nice is the fact that they have to slow down as they drive by because our house is situated between two speed bumps.  Occasionally when people drive by as I'm working in the yard, they will yell something out the window like, "Dat's real purdy right there!" or one of my favorites, "Git it boy" (said by a man at least 70 years old in an equally-as-old pick-up truck - classic).

So far, though, it was a guy walking by that provided the most fitting statement for the blog.  I'm not sure how long he'd been standing there, but when I looked up from working in the yard he was standing by the side of the street looking at the farm.  So, I figured I'd break the ice with "Hi."  He just stood there for a while until he finally said, "Well, you don't remind me of a farmer, but yer doin' pretty good with yer garden there, boy."  I wasn't really sure how to take that, so I just said, "Thanks!" He then continued to walk down the street without saying another word.  Strange? Yes.  But a fitting comment for a wannabe farmer.

Here are a few pics of the view of the farm from the street and of the street from the farm.


P.S. I'm gonna stop trying to predict what I'll post next, because it's never right.

No comments:

Post a Comment